Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.


Starmer, who watched Adolescence with his teenage children, said the drama “hit home hard.” The series follows the case of a 13-year-old boy who fatally stabs a girl after being radicalised online. The internet and social media, Starmer said, allow ideology to be “pumped directly into the minds of our children.”

Released on 13 March, Adolescence explores the aftermath of the schoolgirl’s stabbing and the hidden meanings young people attach to seemingly innocent emojis.

Maria Neophytou of the NSPCC said the Downing Street meeting was a “critical milestone.”

“The online world is being polluted by harmful and misogynistic content, which is having a direct impact on young people’s thinking and behaviour. This cannot be allowed to continue,” she said.

The show has resonated with viewers concerned about knife crime among young people and the influence of figures such as Andrew Tate.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that British teenager Axel Rudakubana, who killed three girls in a knife attack last July, had watched footage of another high-profile stabbing before his crime.

Pressures on young people

Australia banned social media access for under-16s last year.

Adolescence also highlights the “incel” culture, where men who feel unattractive to women develop a deep resentment towards them.

Netflix’s vice president of UK content, Anne Mensah, said the series had helped to show the pressures faced by young people and parents.

The show recorded 24.3 million views in its first four days, making it Netflix’s most-watched series between 10-16 March, according to Variety.

New UK regulations under the Online Safety Act, which took effect on 17 March, require technology firms to tackle illegal content, including extreme pornography and child sex abuse material. However, critics have dismissed the measures as “timid.”

Ian Russell, whose daughter Molly took her own life at 14 in 2017 after viewing harmful content online, criticised the regulatory approach. He said media regulator Ofcom was overly concerned with legal challenges and accommodating tech companies.
“Worried parents across the country are dismayed by yet more half measures,” he said.

Jack Thorne, writer of Adolescence, said he hoped the series would help initiate meaningful discussions and policy changes.

“It’s about other people... being given the opportunity to have conversations they haven’t had before and that they should have had, that might lead to policy change and things being made better for our young people,” he told Sky News.

(With inputs from AFP)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less